Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Overcome evil with good

My last post was strong, I'm not sure how it settled with you.  Tonight I'd like to take you to three passages I like a lot.  Each one challenges me and reminds me how to live in a place that is not always safe.  I'd like to think that these passages could be good reminders as well for people that are feeling insecure about global trends and unrest.


Eph 6:11-13 NRS  Our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.


Romans 12:19-21 NIV  Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.  On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; 
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. 
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Proverbs 16:7 NRS  When the ways of people please the Lord, he causes even their enemies to be at peace with them.


What sounds better, doing all you can to control defenses against your human enemies, or being at peace with them in order to thwart the enemy of all human life?  It's a paradigm shift I pray we can all progress toward in these days.  

1 comment: