Friday, August 26, 2011

In memory of a friend lost

It was about a year ago that a group of our teammates was murdered on their return from a remote health outreach.  They had hiked over 100 miles, over high mountain passes, to reach people that had no other health services.  On their return they were ambushed, and none were spared.  One year ago we grieved this bitter loss.

For the memorial service one year later, some family members of the deceased came to this country, to bring closure to their loss, and to meet some of us that remain here in the same line of service as their lost family member.  I wish I would have had the chance to go and meet the mother of my close friend that was killed, but I could not make the flight.  Some months after the team was killed, I was in contact with the mother of my friend, and I shared some photos with them of an adventure that her son and I had in Lal, in summer 2009.  This is the way I like to remember my friend: living life, taking on challenges and adventures, and loving people that the rest of the world counts hard to love.  So one year after his death, I want to go back 2 years, and remember and celebrate the life he lived, and for that I'll share some pictures that I took of him, and that he took of the people that were drawn to him.









1 comment:

  1. We continue to think of this man and to remember his family. Especially at Okoboji this year, it was hard to look back a year and remember how you struggled thru that time of loss. It was hard to think about his parents and loved ones of the others who were also killed. It's so meaningful for me as a mom to think about you connecting with your friend's mom. That was a gift to her, you know.

    ReplyDelete