Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The nature of injustice


This week I found my copy of “Good News About Injustice” and I’m pleased to continue reading it.  Last fall I quoted the books author, Gary Haugen, in this post.  Today I read another gripping quote by Haugen, and I want to share it with you here:

“Let there be no mistake, evil and injustice thrive on moral ambiguity, equivocation, confusion and the failure to commit.  Remembering that injustice is the abuse of power, we must know that injustice is strong, forceful, committed.  In every case it will prevail against the uncertain, the unsure and the uncommitted.” (p.105)

Powerful and clear statement isn’t it? 

I cannot predict in which direction your mind will apply this, but I’ll tell you where my mind goes, it goes to the plight of the poor in countries like this.  Without someone to wholeheartedly painstakingly defend and advocate for the poor, the policies and tendencies of the powerful squash them.  I’m convicted because that’s not always where I put my attention.  What strikes me from this quote is the truth that being half-hearted, or trying to do a little about injustice, is useless. 

Oh that we could be whole-hearted in our stand for the people and the matters that weigh on the heart of our Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment